[wp-hackers] GSoc - here we go !

Perro Hunter perro.hunter at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 19:27:34 UTC 2010

> Hi there,
>
> about idea number 1:
> actually the WP importes does have an option to import all the media. And it
> works pretty well already.

In a stand alone installation of WP I haven't seen an option to import media straight from an already existing wordpress, it only allows me to import a XML dump file, previously exported from another wordpress, this idea is aimed for standard users that find it really difficult to move their blog from one location to another, as I mentioned before this idea not necessarily needs a FTP as most of the communication could be done via POST

If I missed the feature please tell me where to find it

> about idea number 2, what is a pain when you have to move a wp installation
> from domains are all the hardcoded absolute paths and url in the database.
> Maybe if wordpress could detect that it is in a different domain from what
> is on the database and could deal with it somehow ... but thats not a easy
> topic.
>
> by the way, I have my own script to handle with that if anyone is interested
> (that replaces all the urls in the database, even the serialized ones)

I know, the cool thing about having this script running on both sides of the servers is that while 1 is cleaning the queue and sending the post/comments/tags/etc to the target WP, the receiver, which is aware of it's own environment, is adapting what it receives before inserting it to the DB making sure all the paths are going to be correct after the moving process is done

What do you think?

-perrohunter