[wp-hackers] GSoC Proposal - Move WordPress
Manu Krishnan T.V
tvmanukrishnan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 07:27:48 UTC 2010
Here is my modified proposal for wordpress move
I have divided the project to 3 categories
1) Wordpress complete backup
- Provides feature to create a complete backup of wordpress files
- Includes a database dump(can use scheduling methods to avoid
excess resource usage while creating the database dump)
- Create a compressed archive of all the contents available for
- Feature to download only the modified files or 'wp-content' folder.
- Sometimes, this can be a time consuming process. So, must have
features to alert the administrator when backup is complete.
- Server must have enough free space for the archive(free space
about the size of installed wordpress) and provide compression support.
2) Wordpress move between hosts
- Create a compressed archive on the old server with contents of
wp-content folder .
- Create a database backup on the old server using scheduling
techniques (this avoids excessive resource usage in servers for large
- Utilize current available features of plugin istaller/updater to
move the compressed files to new server and extract (this avoids ftp
- Allows change in blog url on move.
- Implementing move feature in the installer is an option, but many
users still prefer or use automatic installers like fantastico to avoid
handling database stuffs. So, I prefer to have a fresh wordpress
installation, so as to make sure that the server meets all requirements
and have all the database details ready in the config file to proceed.
There will be a new option for move, with options to provide target
wordpress url, and its admin login details.
- The new installation will be put to some maintenance mode, as the
process starts and will mail the user when the process in complete. So,
it doesn't require the user to be connected for long time.
- Server must have enough free space for archive(free space about
the size of installed wordpress) and provide compression support.
- The same could be used to create mirrors of a wordpress site,
with few modifications.
3) Wordpress move from wordpress.com
- Database needs to be exported, can use the above technique for that.
- If wordpress.com supports creating compressed archives, the above
feature itself will be useful
- Else, we can use an alternate method. Most wordpress.com accounts
have themes and plugins provided by wordpress.com and not modified. The
plugin/theme installer can be used to install them after finding which
all are installed from the database backup.
Looking forward for more suggestions and ideas to implement.
With love and regards,
Tvm a.k.a Bizzard
Find me @ Bizzard's Hackshop <http://www.bizzard.info/>
Quote: I'm not a HANDSOME guy. But I can give my HAND to SOME one who
needs help. Beauty is in heart, not in face..!! - A.P.J Abdul Kalam
More information about the wp-hackers