[wp-hackers] [GSOC] Just apply, or talk to developers first?

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Fri Mar 19 12:05:17 UTC 2010

On Thu, 18 Mar 2010 09:42:27 +1200, Eric Gribkoff <ericgribkoff at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thanks for the response, Dion. I'm including a first-draft proposal here.
> Any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated!
>
> I would like to expand and improve upon the WordPress User Roles system.
>
> On my own blog, it would be useful to be able to assign category-specific
> Contributor status to users. Many blogs could benefit from a similar
> feature, allowing roles to only apply to a specific category or
> categories.
>
> Additionally, the current roles are somewhat limited. I would like to
> implement features allowing existing roles to be modified on a
> user-by-user
> basis.

How often do you use the current-generation of Role-based plugins?
How would your proposal be a superior solution than something such as Role
Scoper, or the Members plugin:
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/members/ (Which does per-content rules
i believe)

For the most part, the current implementation of Roles/caps needs to be
simplified, or rather, the storage needs to be simplified/optimized in
such a way that querying for if a user has permission to perform an action
or not is possible.

For example, Take a blog with 10,000 users, Which users can edit themes on
the site? Its not as simple as you may think, right now, every user needs
to be loaded into memory to determine the answer.
For 3.1, I believe the storage mechanism will change, and per-user
capabilities will probably be scraped from core (Yes, its possible right
now - And can be implemented via a plugin easily afterwards) leaving a
User -> Role mapping which should allow for faster user queries.

Cheers
Dion Hulse / dd32

Contact:
  e: contact at dd32.id.au