[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Tue Mar 9 21:30:36 UTC 2010

On Mar 9, 2010, at 3:26 PM, Potkanski, Jason wrote:
> On 3/8/10 10:41 PM, "Mike Schinkel" <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net> wrote:
> -1000, Batshit insane.

Comments like that are simply not helpful.  "Unworkable" (from your perspective) maybe, but "batshit insane" are just troll words.

> In Wordpress MU/MS 3.0, wp_users is a global table, wp_posts is a per blog table.

Your reply makes assumptions about the proposal that should not have been assumed.

I proposed users be mirrored in wp_posts and commenters be maintained wp_posts. While I did not explicitly address WPMU you assumed that the proposal would handle WPMU in ways that would be foolish. There'd be no reason to copy every person in wp_user to every wp_posts table in WPMU; each wp_posts table would only mirror those users from it's respective admin users and commenters.  This would be conceptually identical to how the proposal would relate to multiple (non-WPMU) WordPress instances on a shared server where each instance has its own users even though some of them may be duplicated across instances.

> You can not merge wp_users into posts without significant performance problems for MU.

Unless you were referring to copying all users to all wp_posts tables, which would simply be incompetent, I don't see where what I clarified above would cause any measurable performance problems.  If your point is still not moot, what am I missing something?

> Not to mention breaking global permission systems.

According to the proposal wp_users would continue to be a global permission system; the proposal stated that login and roles would stay within wp_users.

> To add my two cents to the conversation: I would propose two user tables, a wp_admin_users (Site Admin, Administrator, Editor, Author, etc) and a wp_users table for Subscribers, Commenters, etc.

There is no need for table inflation; no need to create a table and all the functionality that ultimately gets wrapped around a table when we already have the tables we need.

> This would help segregate who is important easily (300 admin users versus 100,000 subscribers),

The above proposal with wp_users and wp_posts addresses.

BTW, who has 100,000 real subscribers?  (just curious)

> API functions like get_admin_users(), etc.

+1, but renamed without the "admin_."

-Mike