[wp-hackers] "commenter" user role

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Fri Mar 5 23:23:30 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM, Otto <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> No, not fear. Design. I'm the only user of my blog. I don't want or
> need anybody else to be registered on it, because *I'm the only user
> of my blog*.

You're the only *author* of your blog.

> Commenters aren't users, they're commenters. They read it and they
> leave comments. Whether their user data is real or not is irrelevant,
> as I see it.

I agree: it doesn't matter whether commenters provide a real email address
or not. The issue is were you store it.

On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Aaron Jorbin <aaron at jorb.in> wrote:

> What about a site that gets 100 comments per post, and 20% are one
> time commenters?  After 50 posts, there are now over 1k users.  And I
> think it would take at least two fields.  Both nicename and
> capabilities.

And how is that worse than the current situation, where for *every* comment,
the email and username is duplicated?

> That's a vastly different migration, as it didn't really affect users.
>  While developers and power users would know what's going on, what
> about when Grandma goes to comment on the latest picture of little
> Matty and enters Grandma Bettie instead of Grandma B that she
> previously used.  We've just now added an extra step for a user who
> should have a very simple experience.

As I've said in a previous email, she will still be able to comment, just
that her name will still appear as "Grandma B" instead of "Grandma Bettie".

--
http://scribu.net