[wp-hackers] "Masking" a domain name in a wordpress install

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Fri Mar 5 19:32:12 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM, Jeremy Clarke <jer at simianuprising.com> wrote:
> Just for the record, the best solution in these cases is almost always
> to use the two definitions in wp-config.php that override the blog and
> site urls in the settings.

What is "best" depends on your point-of-view.

If I'm creating a site for somebody else, or doing a local test site,
then yes, I want those hardcoded. Newbs shouldn't touch the values,
and it makes migrating live DB's to test sites much simpler.

On the other hand, if I'm doing a live site for *me*, who is not a
newbie at this sort of thing, and who (perhaps in a fit of insanity)
might want to change the URL at a moment's notice and knows how to
reconfigure his URL paths on the fly and so forth... then not so much.

I like things to be dynamic and easily accessible for ready changes.
The wp-config file is not easily accessible all the time. This is good
if I want the values to be hard to change, but bad if I want them to
be easy to change.

-Otto