[wp-hackers] Idea: Widgets as custom post types

Stephen Rider wp-hackers at striderweb.com
Fri Mar 5 02:21:41 UTC 2010

On Mar 4, 2010, at 3:04 PM, scribu wrote:

> I plan to open a ticket once we discuss more about the best way to store
> widget instances individually.
>
> Since I suppose a wp_widgets table is out of the question, I don't see a
> better place than the wp_posts table.

Why is a widgets table out of the question?

I'm not agreeing with the push to treat widgets as a type of post.  They aren't data -- they're structure.  In essence they're part of the theme if nothing else.  A very flexible part of the theme, but still -- part of the theme.

They're not content, they're structure.  Treat it as what it is.

FWIW.

Stephen

--
Stephen Rider