[wp-hackers] Idea: Widgets as custom post types

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Wed Mar 3 03:05:36 UTC 2010

On Mar 2 2010 4:50 PM, Brian Layman wrote:
> [...] I really really wish we could have things like meta_key be a unique value so
> that when I supply site_blog_meta_key the database is looking at one
> specific unique value that it returns at near the speed of light. We're way
> past that point, but maybe we can stop adding even more generalization.

In hindsight, I wish I *had* made the meta_key be unique. But at the
time I wrote the postmeta feature, we didn't have the auto-serialization
model in place. I wanted to be able to specify multiple values for the
same key, without over-complicating the more common use-case of
one-to-one key/value pairs.

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>
http://dougal.gunters.org/