[wp-hackers] Idea: Widgets as custom post types

Justin Shreve justin.shreve at gmail.com
Tue Mar 2 21:29:46 UTC 2010

Both. Since the introduction of plugins, pages, etc.

WordPress doesn't just say it's a blogging platform, it says that it is
(quote):

"*WordPress* is a state-of-the-art publishing platform with a focus on
aesthetics, web standards, and usability."

It's a publishing platform. - That means support for other types of things
and not just posts (articles, recipes, whatever).  I agree wp_posts may be
confusing but as mentioned I think that is for backwards compatibility.

On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 4:25 PM, John O'Nolan <john.wp at onolan.org> wrote:

> I think that maybe the small amount of confusion that's arising here is
> caused by the naming convention rather than the actual issue of where table
> content is moved to. "wp_posts" fundamentally suggests that this is a table
> containing a single type of content, and that type is "posts". If the table
> is now to be looked at as:
>
> "thinking of 'content types' rather than 'post types'." [- Justin]
>
> Then I have to say that I think the word "post" is beginning to become just
> as confusing as the word "node" is in the Drupal world.
>
> I Wordpress a blogging platform or a CMS?
>
> John
>

> On 2 Mar 2010, at 21:16, Mike Schinkel wrote:
>
>  On Mar 2, 2010, at 3:43 PM, Michael Pretty wrote:
>>
>>> Heck, lets go ahead and put the terms tables into the posts table.  No
>>> reason we can't turn the entire database into a nodal system.  :)
>>>
>>> 3 tables:
>>> objects
>>> objects_to_objects_map