[wp-hackers] Meetups

Jane Wells jane at automattic.com
Fri Jun 18 13:26:05 UTC 2010

Hi Alex. WordPress meetups are generally informal local gatherings that
tend to happen monthly in a given location. Though we are planning to
bring planning functionality for these into wordpress.org soon, for now
a lot of people use http://meetup.com to organize these kind of regular
meetup groups.

WordCamps are annual gatherings that bring together more people, often
from surrounding areas, and are organized via wordcamp.org. The WordCamp
UK event that Mike Little linked to is the official event for this year.
That said, places that have in past years had one all-encompassing event
named for their country (or in the UK's case, their collection of
countries) are finding that with the rapid growth of WordPress and
people who want to grow their local communities, there are more
WordCamps happening than ever. For example, there's WordCamp UK, but
there was also a WordCamp Ireland this year. I would not be surprised to
see a WordCamp London separate from a WordCamp Manchester at some point
in the future (just as an example), let alone seeing breakout events in
Scotland or Wales as those communities grow, so there are opportunities
to get involved. The first step is to get involved with your local
meetup group if there is one, and if there's not one, then start one. :)

Jose Fontainhas has also talked about organizing a "WordCamp Europe"
that would be larger and bring together people of many countries and
have a bit more focus on international issues, though that event has not
been confirmed yet.

If you have any questions about setting up a meetup or WordCamp feel
free to email me offlist at jane at wordcamp.org.

Jane