[wp-hackers] Post Spam
ash at thinkinginvain.com
Wed Jun 16 13:42:52 UTC 2010
A look at source of the url you gave (
shows that the related blogs section has a class of pc_pingback. A
on google for pc_pingback turns up
It works thus (according to the website)
- The plugin will listen to anytime a post is saved, published, updated,
- The plugin on execution time will find all the tags on the post and
perform the following per tag:
- Use Google API to check for ( 35 ) results with the tag name.
- With the ( 35 ) results it loops through them and performs the
- Does the result have a pingback meta tag?
- Does the result have trackback somewhere in the source
- (if yes to both) it stores the pingback xmlrpc location in
- (if no to either) we skip that record and move to the next.
- Once their are 5 legit pingable servers we then append their
links to the post we currently added.
- We then retrieve the xmlrpc urls from memory, and execute
a pingback.ping against the xmlrpc as defined in the pingback 1.0
A bit of irony. The offending website (the sleeping bags website) is using
a spam plugin to stop comment spam.
Perhaps a look at the plugins source (
http://joshteam.wordpress.com/2009/06/17/pingcrawl2/ ) will reveal a method
to block it? (I would look but I won't get the time for at least a month or
More information about the wp-hackers