[wp-hackers] Geodata storage

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sat Jun 5 21:25:18 UTC 2010

On Jun 5, 2010, at 4:58 PM, Jeremy Clarke wrote:

> One obvious one that I'm interested in is showing a map (google or
> otherwise) with points for recent posts. If each post has the meta set up
> you use it to create a kml file or whatever that you feed to the map's flash
> file.

Are you saying people would be encoding the geo from where they submitted the post?  I must be missing something, I'm not sure how that is really all that useful?

> I would be much more comfortable getting involved with geo data if there was
> standard storage though. I'd love the ability to hop from plugin to plugin
> with confidence that the data won't need to be converted (except for extras
> that plugin authors can add in and use but with the knowledge that they
> should make their plugin work with only the standard data if that is all
> that's available).

Me too. I hugely value standards.  I do think that code makes standards more pervasive though, hence why something in core or at least a canonical plugin that supports this would be helpful.

-Mike