[wp-hackers] Wordpress StackExchange is ready.

Michael E. Hancock justmichaelh at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:41:57 UTC 2010

From: "Jane Wells" <jane at automattic.com>
> I'm concerned that this will splinter the development community, with
> official discussion happening via wordpress.org channels, and non-official
> discussions on StackOverflow. People already complain about there being
> information in too many places and it being hard to know which information
> is official.

That 'fragmentation' concerned me but then I wondered, what can it hurt?

Many people have yelled for years that the wp-hackers list is too noisy.
Others have complained they can't get their questions answered in the forums
and/or they can't stand how the forum software functions.  Still others
gripe they can't get the harder questions answered in #wordpress IRC.  And
don't forget the ranting about Codex, where complaints range from the
content, to the software that Codex uses.

So it would seem, people who are able, and willing, to answer those
questions, desire a different or more attractive alternative.  If
StackOverflow provides an experience that allows them to overcome the
wordpress.org obstacles (real or perceived) and to contribute something
useful, then that's "a win" for the community.

The focus of the StackOverflow proposal is limited.  It's not for end users.
It won't replace the forums, it won't replace Codex, it won't replace trac,
it won't replace the IRC channels, and it won't replace the wp-testers list.
Based on the target audience, it would probably be the users of this list
that would be most likely to gravitate to that solution.

If nothing else, it can be another outlet for those who feel
disenfranchised, disgruntled, and neglected.

MichaelH