[wp-hackers] Wordpress StackExchange is ready.

eric at eamann.com eric at eamann.com
Wed Jun 2 18:27:49 UTC 2010

That's exactly where the dichotomy is - between a question/answer site
('WordPress Answers') and a conversation site (wordpress.org forums).  If I am
looking for the solution to a particular answer, seeing a list of potential
answers with community votes and a "this is the right answer" flag is far more
useful than an endless list of "I have this problem, too!" posts.

I've been using the wordpress.org forums ever since I started using WordPress.
I asked questions that went unanswered.  I answered questions that seemed stale
and forgotten by the community.  But all the while, the "answer" and "support"
feeling of the forums was missing.  It's a great place to have a conversation on
a topic, but if I'm looking for a specific answer, it's the last place I go.

I've had much more success using Google to search for information ... and 9
times out of 10 I find the answer on either Stack Overflow or a miscellaneous
user's personal tutorial than on wordpress.org.

What I'm trying to say, though, is that there's a need for both.  We need a
question/answer site and we need a community forum.  Trying to fill both needs
with one solution is a flawed strategy from the get-go, and you'll always end up
with people in both camps claiming the others' efforts are misguided.

~Eric