[wp-hackers] Custom Post Types and pending incompatibilities

Jeff Waugh jdub at bethesignal.org
Sun Jul 11 03:39:30 UTC 2010

<quote who="Otto">

> One would hope that plugins would use a prefix naming convention for their
> custom types in the same way we recommend making function names and such.
> plugin_whatever and so forth.

Concur, that's an easy and unsurprising way for plugin authors to do things.
Perhaps we should even encourage it in the docs?

Slightly different challenge: It's incredibly unlikely that plugin authors
would want the rewrite root of their custom post type URLs to be namespaced
in such an ugly way (in public URLs that is -- in code it's fiiiine).

Consider: A "jdub_bongsip" custom type vs. /jdub_bongsip/%slug%/ URLs. Ick!

Not sure what we should encourage in that case. Perhaps automagically create
a setting on the Permalinks page for custom post types (which don't define
this manually themselves) similar to the tag and category URL root settings?

Tough one.

- Jeff

--
Ubuntu's Bleeding Edge                      http://ubuntuedge.wordpress.com/

   "It's a pan-dimensional cake, and there are many ways to slice it." -
                                Bruce Badger