[wp-hackers] Putting the P in WordPress

Dan Phiffer dan at phiffer.org
Tue Jul 6 19:17:12 UTC 2010

Hi Hackers,

I'm only piling on because I've had a ticket closed on grounds I disagreed with. Process is the issue here -- this is part of a pattern that makes me feel less inclined to participate. The filter was a bad decision that hadn't been fully thought through, but it's the response to objections that has been worrying. Some of these justifications are just silly.

I'll just add this quotation from a book called Being Wrong...

"In our collective imagination, error is associated not just with shame and stupidity but also with ignorance, indolence, psychopathology, and moral degeneracy. This set of associations was nicely summed up by the Italian cognitive scientist Massimo Piattelli-Palmarini, who noted that we err because of (among other things) “inattention, distraction, lack of interest, poor preparation, genuine stupidity, timidity, braggadocio, emotional imbalance, . . . ideological, racial, social or chauvinistic prejudices, as well as aggressive or prevaricatory instincts.” In this rather despairing view — and it is the common one — our errors are evidence of our gravest social, intellectual, and moral failings.

Of all the things we are wrong about, this idea of error might well top the list. It is our meta-mistake: we are wrong about what it means to be wrong. Far from being a sign of intellectual inferiority, the capacity to err is crucial to human cognition. Far from being a moral flaw, it is inextricable from some of our most humane and honorable qualities: empathy, optimism, imagination, conviction, and courage. And far from being a mark of indifference or intolerance, wrongness is a vital part of how we learn and change. Thanks to error, we can revise our understanding of ourselves and amend our ideas about the world."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/11/books/excerpt-being-wrong.html

Thanks,
-Dan