[wp-hackers] Licensing question

Jordi Canals jcanals at alkivia.net
Tue Jan 19 15:20:17 UTC 2010

2010/1/19 Dan Coulter <dan at dancoulter.com>

> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jordi Canals <jcanals at alkivia.net> wrote:
>
> > Do you think is any problem by using the BSD license on themes and
> plugins?
> > And, is it a good idea to use the BSD license? I always wanted to give
> > other
> > developers as many freedom as possible to use anything I wrote.
> >

> The way I understand it (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong), you can
> use a BSD licensed library in GPL software, but you cannot build a BSD
> plugin for WordPress.  GPLv2 says this:
>
> "You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or
> in
> part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be
> licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of
> this License."

I know, but BSD is a compatible license with GPLv2
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/index_html#GPLCompatibleLicenses
And found in the codex that building plugins by using any compatible license
is allowed. http://codex.wordpress.org/Writing_a_Plugin#License
Themes and plugins just combine with WordPress, them do not  distribute nor
publish WordPress code, just combine with the code to give more or different
functionality.

--
Jordi Canals
http://alkivia.org