[wp-hackers] Licensing question

Dan Coulter dan at dancoulter.com
Tue Jan 19 15:05:42 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:51 AM, Jordi Canals <jcanals at alkivia.net> wrote:

> Do you think is any problem by using the BSD license on themes and plugins?
> And, is it a good idea to use the BSD license? I always wanted to give
> other
> developers as many freedom as possible to use anything I wrote.

The way I understand it (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong), you can
use a BSD licensed library in GPL software, but you cannot build a BSD
plugin for WordPress.  GPLv2 says this:

"You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in
part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be
licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of
this License."

--
Dan Coulter
http://dancoulter.com/

Hey, I got nothing to do today but smile
-Simon and Garfunkel