[wp-hackers] A question about donation link

Tiago Relvao trelvao at workmedia.pt
Fri Jan 15 18:02:20 UTC 2010

It seems to me that there should be no shame in assuming you want to be
paid for your work. After all, it's work!

Maybe there should be room in the plug-in directory for proprietary
wordpress plug-ins with source code included (I believe there's no point
in obfuscating or encrypting). An official app store with free, free for
personal use, commercial and open source plug-ins should suffice.

There are already some efforts in restricting the use of plug-ins.
Either by requiring an api key, a site registration or even by implying
you should make a donation. This seems unnecessary, to me. I really
prefer the approach of edit plus (http://www.editplus.com/). The
software is proprietary, but you can download it and use it with no
restrictions. It's up to your conscience to pay for the authors work.

Anyway, this is just my opinion...

Tiago