[wp-hackers] Cleaning up tags

Lari Elovainio lari at kairo.fi
Fri Jan 8 13:43:04 UTC 2010

On 8. 1. 2010, at 14.00, wp-hackers-request at lists.automattic.com wrote:

Thank you Eric and Bruce for your help. I might have been a bit unclear, though, on what I wanted. The tags I’d like to delete are only used on one post each. There are over 8000 of these tags. I know how to delete these from the wp_term_taxonomy table.

What I don’t know, is how to delete the corresponding 8000 rows from the wp_term_relationships table. I guess it requires some kind of join, but i’m not that familiar with mysql. So I need to delete rows from wp_term_relationships where 'term_taxonomy_id' is something that has 'count' lower than 2 in wp_term_taxonomy. How do I do that? I’m sorry if this is trivial but I haven’t been able to figure it out.

Removing these tags might lower the visitor count a bit, but these tags in question are very low quality, so it’ll probably lower bounce rate, too. For instance, there are lots of tags that are song names on articles about new album releases. I’m trying to educate the client on how to tag but there are many writers and they are slow learners.

Thank you,
Lari