[wp-hackers] Write a custom field to a new post via JS??

Matthew Gerring mgerring at emrl.com
Wed Jan 6 20:02:51 UTC 2010

I found the temporary ID thing yesterday, and now I have my plugin set up so that it tries to use add_post_meta with the temporary post ID, but all it does is write the meta to the database once the post is published with an ID of 0. It works perfectly as long as the post has been assigned an ID.

I looked through the write_post source, and I see what it's doing but I don't see it correcting the temporary IDs in post_meta. From admin-ajax.php it looks like when you add a custom field, WP creates the real ID and passes it back to the original post, but I'm not sure how to duplicate that functionality in my plugin.

It would be better if I could just hook into the add-meta action in admin-ajax.php, but no matter how I construct the request it always returns -1.

My code is here: http://wordpress.pastebin.com/m728fcfcf. It passes the temporary ID to the server just fine, and returns it back as successful, but WordPress doesn't find the postmeta when I go to save the post.

Anyway. Hoping someone can help.

Thanks,
Matthew