[wp-hackers] WP-Caption/Image use inline styles

Moya, Eddie emoya at tribune.com
Thu Feb 18 17:59:20 UTC 2010

On 2/18/10 8:37 AM, "Otto" <otto at ottodestruct.com> wrote:

> To which inline styling are you referring?
>
> The only styling I'm aware that the image captioning system uses is
> width and height, and those belong inline because they will be
> different for each image, due to image sizes being different.
>
> You can't generically style image sizes, and not specifying them is
> bad form as it causes page rendering slowdowns (image spaces can be
> rendered before the image loads if the width/height is given).
>
> -Otto
> Sent from Memphis, TN, United States

That's the styling I am referring to, the sizes for image/wp-caption. What
you said about images is true and makes sense. However as it stands, images
are given size with html attributes and that's fine since those are readily
overridden by css. However wp-caption is given inline style.

For us this caused havoc on IE6. It was a combination of no max-width
support, and the difference in how IE6 handles !important, and the box model
bugs. The lynchpin that would have avoided the whole mess was the inline
styles for wp-caption.

Wouldn't the need  for defining the size of wp-caption be met by html
attributes instead of inline css styles? If so that would seem to be the
better solution.

--
Eddie Moya
Applications Developer