[wp-hackers] Some Thoughts/Enhancement Ideas In And Around TheCategory Side Of Things

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Wed Feb 10 21:10:41 UTC 2010

On Feb 10, 2010, at 3:12 PM, mpretty at voceconnect.com wrote:
> If something is going to be defined in such a way where it is strongly cast into a category like "news" as opposed to regular blog content, I feel like it should fall under the domain of a custom post type.  In this case you would add rewrite rules that maps /news/ to ?post_type=news.

Actually, I'd definitely agree with that.  Unfortunately to make that work well for users there are several other changes that would need to be made for it to be mainstream, such as allowing users to define a post type of "news" in the admin, but those are other battles that are being hard fought by those who believe such functionality shouldn't be in core.

-Mike