[wp-hackers] adding another source SVN for plugin upgrades

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Wed Feb 3 17:26:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM, Nuno Morgadinho
<nuno.morgadinho at gmail.com> wrote:
> How hard is it to add another source for plugin upgrades, e.g. a
> private SVN repo?

In my experience setting up a private SVN repo can be fairly tricky
and requires a better understanding of SVN than is needed to use other
people's repos. I made some bad calls when I was doing it and bugs
resulted. It also requires in-depth knowledge of Apache and server
security so you can ensure that connections to the repo are encrypted
and secure.

That said its pretty damn handy and I would never go back to writing
custom plugins without a SVN repo backing them up.

If you want to avoid that there are hosted services like
http://beanstalkapp.com/ , though I haven't tried that one or any
others.

--
Jeremy Clarke | http://jeremyclarke.org