[wp-hackers] Better Error Handling for both Development and Production Servers

Andrew Gray andrew at graymerica.com
Fri Dec 31 20:37:05 UTC 2010

Does anyone think that a patch for an improved error handler in wp-includes/load.php would be well received or implemented into the core.

I would love a setting to only show Fatal / parse errors when developing.  Something that only show these errors and ignores all the deprecated, notices and other errors that come from plugins and from the core wordpress when I was developing.  Or at lease improve the options available for WP-config from DEBUG only.

Also, an error handler for production websites that is something other than a blank page.    Something with a little data or that could be customized with a theme.  I was thinking of using http://php.net/manual/en/function.set-error-handler.php  and a shutdown function (when possible) to improve the user experience.

Of course all of this would be optional, and not included in the code unless people turn it on.

Also if you enable define('E_DEPRECATED', false) ; I get a Fatal error: Unsupported operand types in ****/wp-includes/load.php on line 260

Does anyone think that if I worked up a patch for all this, it would be accepted.

thanks,

Andrew