[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Andrew Nacin wp at andrewnacin.com
Fri Dec 17 03:08:58 UTC 2010

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Mike Little <wordpress at zed1.com> wrote:

> There is a larger number of people involved than I previously knew about
> (thanks for that too) -- I guess my simplified division between cathedral
> and bazarr (few versus many) is  due for an update. I should go read the
> essay again -- it's many. many years since the last time.

Generally speaking, the cathedral model is when something is built behind
closed doors, then released as open source. The bazaar model is when the
code is built in the open. The bazaar model has taken hold in most open
source projects. Some still begin in the cathedral model. Google developed
Chrome behind closed doors before releasing it, but after that point,
Chromium is iterated out in the open.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2010, at 12:47 AM, Andrew Nacin wrote:
> > The point is, it's extremely different. The kernel uses a lieutenants
> > system. They have a hierarchy of branches, each with their own
> gatekeeper,
> > for many different modules, submodules, and components. When the merge
> > window opens, Linus accepts patches that his lieutenants have signed off
> on.
> > He doesn't read, and certainly doesn't audit or test, all of them -- the
> > entire system is built on a hierarchy of trust and a hierarchy of
> branches.
>
> That was super helpful, seriously.  Thanks for explaining.

Further reading:
http://ldn.linuxfoundation.org/book/23-how-patches-get-kernel.