[wp-hackers] Licensing and Copyright Issues with the Hello Dolly Plugin

hakre hanskrentel at yahoo.de
Thu Dec 16 08:44:40 UTC 2010

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----

May I point to the fact - and that's important to any wordpress developer - that
since the GPL has terminated for the wordpress package (incl. the use of the SVN
and beta versions), all developers who participate in beta do not have a right
to aquire nor to edit the files of wordpress unless they are in full compliance
again.

So just before anyone is actively encouraging other developers to violate the
GPL, I can only give the following tip:

     If you care about your rights with the wordpress software,
    remove the Hello Dolly plugin. Or remove only the Hello Dolly
    lyrics in  there if you want to keep the plugin.

Source: http://wp.me/pLEEp-mPb

> For now, help us by trying to break Beta  2.
>
> Regards,
> Nacin

You would - as you have commit rights - save other hackers a lot of headaches by
removing the copyright infringing lyrics from the code-base until the situation
has been clarified.

This would be helpful for any person participating in the beta, so to say, get
things moving forward.

Otherwise you're getting closer to asking developers to ignore and violate the
GPL than to ensure that the GPL gets properly applied on the code-base.

You should care less about shortly interrupting some release scheduling (which
is behind anyway according to jane) but to be thankful that such finally got
reported and the attention it deserves. Keep in mind that the copyright
infringement has been already reported 11 month ago. You know the ticket as you
closed it.

-- hakre

http://hakre.wordpress.com/