[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Doug Stewart zamoose at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 23:33:43 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Ken (WraithKenny)
<ken.adcstudio at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd think that encrypted/obfuscated code would provoke someone to
> request the readable code, then post it (legally, if it's GPL) on
> their blog, thus increasing your "potential [negative] exposure" ...
> just as a practical consideration, it makes better sense to charge for
> support and encourage more positive forms of exposure.

Once again, don't hear me as arguing for the practice -- I'm against
it in both principle and in practice. However, what I AM saying is
that the GPLv2 allows for such a [mis]use of the "make available"
clause and, if you feel like your business is worth taking a
reputation hit, you can press ahead with that sort of scheme.

Not trying to get Chip-Bennett-licensing-literal on the whole thing
here, but you CAN do what has been suggested. That's not to say it's
wise, nice, or in the "spirit" of the GPL.

--
-Doug
@zamoose