[wp-hackers] Premium plugin protection

Michael Torbert mrtorbert at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 10:48:44 UTC 2010

> In fact reading back through that, you are saying that the gpl states
> whether or not a non hosted plugin had to gpl compatible?? I don't
> understand.......

No, the GPL doesn't mention WordPress plugins specifically. Please read the
license and its FAQ. Derivative works (such as plugins) must be GPL or GPL
compatible.

> Just to be clear. I am asking if gpl compatibility is only mandatory for
> plugins in the repository or if it is also a guideline (rule??) for non
> repository, premium plugins?

All.

> By the way. I in no way mean to cause an argument. I am genuinely
> interested in your views and opinions. However it would be good to get some
> solid reference rather than (well respected) opinions.

Not my opinion. This has been hashed out over and over in forums, blog
posts, podcasts, etc, and is explicitly talked about at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html