[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Dec 10 13:45:21 UTC 2010

On 10 December 2010 13:23, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2010, at 8:16 AM, scribu wrote:
> >
> > The current release is under tags/3.0.3.
> >
> > The stable branch is in branches/3.0.
> >
> > At the moment, the 3.0 branch is identical to the 3.0.3 tag, because
> there
> > haven't been any commits made yet, but that's not always the case.
>
> So with SVN I still have the issue I described; assuming I don't want to
> break my project by installing not released code I still have to set up
> another install in order to generate a patch, right?

Ah! Now I see your confusion.

Rule 1) You should always develop your working projects against the current
stable release (doesn't even need SVN, but it can be helpful for a long term
project -- in which case check out a *tag*).
Rule 2) You should always produce patches against a checked-out-for-patches
copy (either trunk or latest branch).
Rule 3) Never the twain shall meet.

So, yes, you need to check out copy of the latest branch if you wish to
contribute to WordPress with patches. But you can keep it around for ever,
updating regularly, and even switching it (svn switch) to another branch
when a major release comes out.

Which to check out - trunk or branch? Both is good, but are used for
different things.

If you are fixing a bug you found in the current release and want to
contribute a patch - work on the branch.

If you are proposing a new feature for the next version - work on the trunk

If you are working on a bug from trac, choose based on the 'target' for that
bug, right now target 3.0.4 == work on branch, target 3.1 == work on trunk

Hope that helps clarify the basics.

Mike
--
Mike Little