[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Mike Little wordpress at zed1.com
Fri Dec 10 12:44:28 UTC 2010

On 10 December 2010 12:30, Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel at newclarity.net>wrote:

> Then after all this time I still don't understand how patching is supposed
> to work.  My assumption has always been that I had to patch from trunk.
>  Maybe you could be so kind as to review this and make comment?
>

> http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/990/easiest-way-to-create-a-patch-for-submission-to-wordpress-core
>
> To be clear you are saying that if a project I'm working on is the current
> stable release I can generate a patch from it after modifying core and that
> will work for you?

Mike,
If you are working on a fix for the current release, then you need to work
against the current stable *branch*.
In the instructions here http://wordpress.org/download/svn/  (mentioned in
one of the answers to your question the checkout would be

svn co http://core.svn.wordpress.org/branches/3.0

Make sure to indicate that your patch is against the branch when you submit
it.

I'm not sure what could be any simpler than the instructions here
http://wordpress.org/download/svn/

There are  only 4 (svn) steps.

The only ones missing are 'do an svn revert and svn up' when you want to
start on the next piece of work.

 Mike
--
Mike Little