[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Ankur Oberoi aoberoi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 10 05:01:12 UTC 2010

When I write code, I sit down and start writing. As I write, I test
when appropriate. When I'm done writing and the code works, I stop.

see the step inbetween? you test stuff. thats where its useful to check in
stuff.

if i have to perform steps a, b, c, d, e, f to get feature 1 to work, i
might be able to get away with writing a, b, c and test it. i want to test
it because i dont want to move on unless im getting what i expect out of it.
if i test it and i get what i expect, i'd rather check that in right then.
d, e, and f might get worked on the next day or immediately after, but it
wouldn't matter. tomorrow if im offline and i have 20 mins i might get d
done and tested, ill commit that. this i couldnt do with svn. then when i
return to my wifi connection at the office ill finish up e and f, test them.
if all goes well by the end of that day ill send a pull request.

the alternative is to beleive that ur a, b, and c worked when you tested
them but if u ever think change some of the code in those parts to make d,
e, and f work, and consequentially it breaks those first set of tests, you
don't know how to get back to a point where a, b, and c at least passed ur
tests.