[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Ryan McCue lists at rotorised.com
Fri Dec 10 01:27:44 UTC 2010

Mike Schinkel wrote:
> That's really helpful.  I tell ya, I wish there were some Git+WordPress guru cause I'd love to sit down for an hour to learn the workflow. It's just something I struggle with to get working on my own just by reading articles (not sure why.)

I'm fairly certain there are quite a few just on this mailing list. :)

One thing I think would be really nice about using Git is that we keep
the history for the patches themselves. For example, if I were to work
on my Google Code-In task (switching the AtomPub API and Blogger
Importer to SimplePie), you could see all the mistakes and corner cases
I dealt with on the way. Being able to see the history of things and
*why* stuff was changed is one of the big advantages of version control
systems.

I agree that for smaller patches, Git isn't necessary, but it would
certainly help for larger patches. I'd still love to see WP switch to
Git, and I've got plenty more reasons why, but this discussion isn't
going to change anything.

This all said, you can (sort of) use Git for WP development already.
Fork one of the Git mirrors and do your stuff, then use a tool like `git
svn-diff` [0] to convert it into a patch for submission to Trac. It's a
bit hackish, but it does the job.

[0]: http://mojodna.net/2009/02/24/my-work-git-workflow.html

--
Ryan McCue