[wp-hackers] Switching from SVN

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Thu Dec 9 20:20:24 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Eric Mann <eric at eam.me> wrote:
> With SVN on a dedicated repository, it's easy to just revert changes and
> track down your bug.

I prefer to just write my code correctly the first time, but I get
what you're saying. ;)

I guess I tend to see patches as single purpose, small things. Rarely
do we see patches that add huge new swathes of functionality. And when
they do, it's generally done in entirely new files, then core is
modified only to hook it into the proper places and what not. So I'm
not sure of the value of having a local repo.

Of course, if I wanted a local repo, then it's just a matter of a
minutes to install an SVN server and make one.

The thing that weirds me out is the repo merge process. From what I've
seen on the topic, that "pull" request, if honored, will not only
merge the main patch back in, but also all the changes made locally in
too. That's definitely something we don't want. I don't want to see
your whole development process for your patch. I just want the final
patch. Adding all your local changes and such back in is cluttering
and annoying.

-Otto