[wp-hackers] Page Templates vs Category Templates

Haluk Karamete halukkaramete at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 03:18:42 UTC 2010

I see your points. But I still do not get why have "that convenient
functionality" in one ( that is Add New Page UI ) but not in the other
( that is Add New Category UI).

You are saying "The template-file functionality is exactly the same
for Categories; the difference is only in the UI." I'm asking Why the
UIs are different...

You may ask who cares...  new comers may. me for sure. I'm sure most
users go thru this kind of cycle.

step 1:  install WP
step 2: create a post ( which goes automatically into "uncategorized ")
step 3: create a category
step 4: create a few more and then get a sense of how this thing really kicks...
and then soon after discover the wonderful world of themes...  which
show cases various page layouts..  ( but no category layouts! )

soon you bring a few themes home, & you see, the page layouts, ( the
SideBar on the left, sidebar on the right stuff ) and you get to
choose them when you are creating pages, but the cats got no luck! As
a new comer, you definitely go thru this.

Then you look back into your categories and wonder why on earth this
functionality why the lack of those various page layouts options DO
NOT EXIST for categories even though it is EQUALLY & EASILY achievable
by WP. And interestingly, cats are the 1st group where you need this
kind of flexibility, I think more than the pages...  Why should not I
have a no sidebar ( just content layout ) for some of my category
pages...  but you look at the themes world, majority provide a
no-sidebar layout only for the pages but cats are totally left alone.
I think this end-result may be trickling down from the out-of-the-box
WP UI which exposes Page layoutsbut not the cat layouts.

I'm sure Jane must have thought about this and decided the way it is
now. I'm only curious to understand the wisdom behind it.

I amy be wrong, but it just appears to me that if the next version
were to expose this functionality, it would not only make it
convenient to the end user to select a category template from the drop
down but also encourage the theme designers to bundle their themes
with as many category layouts as the page layouts they provide.