[wp-hackers] Code reviews for plugins?

Jeremy Clarke jer at simianuprising.com
Mon Aug 23 18:14:52 UTC 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Rich Pedley <elfin at elfden.co.uk> wrote:

> In this instance feedback for plugin authors is useful not just for the
> author but for potential users. It's a way for users to rant about how bad
> something was as well as provide good reviews. Having it hidden away on a
> forum misses this. I would hope to see people strive to get good reviews!
> because it will be there for all to see.
>
> Obviosuly the plugin author should be able to reply to individual
> comments/reviews, but shouldn't be able to edit/delete. However some
> functionality for someone to report malicious ones might be a good idea to
> have available from the off it was ever implemented.

FWIW I think the plugin directory should work like the iTunes App store in
almost every way, except that plugin authors should be able to reply to
reviews (like eBay). A one-star review inherently represents a 'broken'
vote, so that whole disctiction can be removed.

The basics of this already exist in the WP Ideas forum, though as we all
know that system (at least historically) is pretty flaky so the code
probably needs to be rewritten specifically for the plugins dir.

jer