[wp-hackers] Customizing the view of custom taxonomies

Scott Bressler sbressler at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 23:48:21 UTC 2010

Thanks to all for your help with this, particularly for the code fragment,
Mike. I'll be specific about my eventual solution in case it might help
someone else down the road.

The key filter I needed and ended up using was
pre_{$my_taxonomy}_description (where description was the specific field I
wanted to edit in the term). The generic hook is: pre_{$taxonomy}_{$field},
which is applied in sanitize_term_field.

The logic in my method was as follows:

function custom_term_description_sanitization( $description ) {
    if ( !empty( $_POST ) && !empty( $_POST[__my_form_input_name__] ) )
        return $_POST[__my_form_input_name__];
    else
        return $description;
}

Thanks again, and hopefully this might help someone in the future trying to
customize the taxonomy UI.

-Scott