[wp-hackers] multiple databases vs different database prefixes

Ken Zaraque kenzaraque at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 02:16:13 UTC 2010

Thank you all again for the responses.

I too have concerns about backup & restore regimes.  that's why i'm leaning towards multiple small DBs.  It just seems safer. Each of these sites will need to be backed up separately, and a situation may arise where on a few of the sites needs to be restored to a previous version.

I suppose if I use a large DB, I could always backup/restore a subset of the tables.

@Ryan - I like the quote by Mark Twain. That's why I'm cautious about using WP version 3.0's multisite feature.  It puts everything in one basket.  All the sites even share a common base code ( If I'm not mistaken ).  You mentioned you found articles on large vs small DBs. Can you send me a couple of links? I can't seem to find anything of great value. I might be searching with the wrong keywords.

@Jeremy - regarding PHPAdmi:  You bring up a good point with PHPAdmin choking on a large DB.
@Jeremy - regarding backups/export: I don't see how having multiple DBs would be much of a pain during backups compared to one large DB. I would have thought that it's a simple script that goes through all the databases and does a msqldump. Am I missing something important?

I appreciate all the advice guys.