[wp-hackers] multiple databases vs different database prefixes

Ken Zaraque kenzaraque at gmail.com
Sun Aug 15 21:48:58 UTC 2010

Hello to All,

I will be creating numerous WP sites - roughly 300+.  I will not be using the multisite feature. These are 300+ separate WP installations.

Question: Is it better to create each site with it's own database, or should all 300+ sites be in one database but each site having different table prefixes?

My concern is scaling.  I am concerned that running all 300+ sites in one database would slow down performance vs having separate databases. Although, having all tables be in one database is very convenient if I ever need to share information between sites.

Maybe I can use a combination of both?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,

Ken