[wp-hackers] URL structure for web application with wp

Mike Schinkel mikeschinkel at newclarity.net
Sun Apr 18 08:10:23 UTC 2010

On Apr 18, 2010, at 3:40 AM, Christian Foster wrote:
> For that matter is there any problem with using the postmeta table?
> You could just stick in the id of the related post with a meta value
> of _related_post?

That could work for very basic needs, but not if the user needed to define multiple types of relationships.  For example, in the case of (musical) artist you might want to relate to genre and album, So rather than use one meta key allow the user to specify i.e. '_related_genre' and '_related_album.'  But be careful not just to use of the post_type because you could have two different types of relationships to a given post type; i.e. a "project-task" could be related to a project manager and multiple resources, both of type "person."

Then comes metadata about the relationship, i.e. a resource on a project task might need to have an assigned hourly rate.  On course if term_taxonomy where actually a custom post type, this would get a lot easier but since it's not, its not.

So my point is whatever you choose there will be a limitations for selected use cases. But since there's not currently an obviously perfect place to store you might as well plow ahead and run into those limitations so the limits can become tangible for you and others and thus, hopefully addressed by the community.

-Mike