[wp-hackers] creating blogs across several installs

Nuno Morgadinho nuno.morgadinho at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 13:15:50 UTC 2010

Jason,

The multi-site plugin is something I've looked before but it doesn't
seem suitable because it requires that all the sites point to the same
IP address.

As I mentioned before I have 5 different IP addresses with installs
and I need to keep that for SEO purposes.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Nuno

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 6:27 PM, Potkanski, Jason
<jpotkanski at tribune.com> wrote:
> There is a multi-site plugin for Wordpress MU that allows multiple sites in
> the same database for a wordpress MU installation.
> http://wpmu.org/multisite-manager/ (wpmu.org looks down). Written by David
> Dean.
>
> If you use custom permalinks on any blogs, I have a patch for the multi-site
> plugin for 2.8.6-2.9.2.
>
> To allow logins across all your sites, set this in wp-config.php:
> define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] );
>
> Since MU doesn’t have a global aliasing ability, (www.x.com/blog can be seen
> at www.y.com/blog and www.z.com/blog), you’ll have to create 5 separate
> blogs and sync the data in the tables to each of the 5 separate blogs. Or,
> solve the global alias problem.
>
> One approach is to create a master blog and use RSS feeds for the 4 sub
> blogs. Commenting would be “desynced” with this approach.
>
> Using multi-site at least gets all your data into one database structure.
>
> --
>
> Jason Potkanski
> Tribune Technology
>

> On 4/12/10 8:57 AM, "Nuno Morgadinho" <nuno.morgadinho at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have 5 WPMU installs (with different IP addresses and domains). When
> the user signs-up and creates a blog I would like to additionally
> create a blog in each of the WPMU installs. I thought about two
> possible approaches for this:
>
> 1) write directly into the database (the installs all share the same
> database server)
> 2) make a http request to each MU that will then handle the request
> and write into the db
>
> Would you rather go for 1 or 2? And is there some work done already in
> this front of creating blogs across several installs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Nuno Morgadinho
> http://www.morgadinho.org