[wp-hackers] Easier Staging <-> Production Deploy & Move Wordpress GSoC

Potkanski, Jason jpotkanski at tribune.com
Mon Apr 12 17:15:54 UTC 2010

We use an extensive bash script that pulls from a local subversion server, exports to a local directory and rsyncs files across to a production NFS mount. I can target individual directories and sites as necessary.  I also have a bash/php combo script that exports production data, does Regex replace on the sitename on a mysql dump, and reloads it to a Test/QA environment MySQL server. Croned nightly.

For dev environments, the bash script is  a much more nuclear rsync script.

A plugin sounds great to even further automate. However, it should be written as a pull plugin installed on the QA environment that connects to a Prod DB and does it's thing rather than a Push plugin as WP Migrate DB looks.

If Wordpress (MU) has an ability to have a global site alias (I can map www.x.com to www.y.internal as well), then I don't even need to migrate the DB, I can just dump and reload verbatim.

--

Jason Potkanski
Tribune Technology