[wp-hackers] WP Update Problems

John Bloch jbloch at olympianetworks.com
Wed Apr 7 05:28:24 UTC 2010

Actually, I found the problem this morning. The hosting server had set the
owner and group of the files as root:root, but php runs as user apache. I
had already tried chown'ing the files to apache:apache (which works on most
server configs), but this one needed to be apache:root. The problem turned
out to be mostly on the part of the server, although WP wasn't throwing a
permissions error (which it's normally really good about).

The same problem also was causing directories to be non-writable, as well as
theme and plugin files, but all of those problems threw permissions errors.
As soon as I set everything to apache:root, all the problems went away.

John P. Bloch