[wp-hackers] Making Updates Friendlier?

Dion Hulse (dd32) wordpress at dd32.id.au
Wed Sep 9 11:37:43 UTC 2009

Hah. Good luck with suggestion #2.

However, Emailing when a Plugin/Core/Theme upgrade becomes available is
something I do agree would be good. I think theres a plugin which does
exactly this.
http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/zes-admin-update-notification/ is the
first one i found, But i'm certain theres others (And someone else just
mailed saying they made one a few days ago.. )

I also noticed on a download site for a application the other day "Enter
your email here and click Download to register for security-update
emails".. Seemed like a good way of telling users that updates were
available to me. (However, Wouldnt really fit WordPress i dont think,
Feels too spammy, Better the blog doing it)

On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 21:29:44 +1000, Michael Clark
<dc153464a11bcf5aeb18180db28017fb.wp-hackers at planetmike.com> wrote:

> Monday morning I blogged two suggestions:
>
> 1) Have WordPress send an email to the blog's admin users once a day
> when there is an update available.
>
> 2) Have WordPress slowly deactivate itself over time as the version
> gets older and older.
>
>  From http://www.planetmike.com/goto/874:
>> My first suggestion: The administrators of a WordPress blog should
>> be sent an email once a new release has occurred. Unfortunately, I
>> believe the "update release check" only occurs when someone is
>> looking at the admin pages. Perhaps a hook can be added that once a
>> day if the public site is accessed, the version check will be done.
>> If a new version has been released, an email message is sent to the
>> administrators.
>>
>> My second suggestion: Have WordPress expire after a fixed amount of
>> time. For example, let's say one year after a version is released,
>> it will lock itself down. At that point it will not allow new
>> comments, posts or pages. Then six months after that, edits can no
>> longer be made to existing pages or posts. Then 6 months after that,
>> a full two years after a new release has been issued, posts, pages
>> and comments will no longer even appear on the site. They'll still
>> be in the database, but they won't be displayed at all.
>>
>> Radical? Absolutely! But I think this would be a prudent way to
>> minimize future problems, as well as forcing (encouraging) people to
>> keep their WordPress installation up to date.

Dion Hulse
e: contact at dd32.id.au
w: http://dd32.id.au/
m: 04 6621 9112 (+614 6621 9112)