[wp-hackers] Making Updates Friendlier?

Dougal Campbell dougal at gunters.org
Tue Sep 8 20:03:36 UTC 2009

In the aftermath of the recent WP worm, there has been the usual raft of
FUD flying about. I won't bother pointing out any particular sources --
suffice to say that some of the recent posts about "WordPress Security"
were reasonable, and many were not. It seems like every time there is
some sort of security issue related to WordPress, regardless of the
scope, it becomes a PR nightmare of sorts. Primarily, I think that it
goes hand-in-hand with the popularity of WordPress: we are popular,
therefore we are a high-profile target, and therefore when something
goes wrong, it affects a lot of users, and therefore it gets a lot of
attention. It's the nature of celebrity.

As has been pointed out time and time again, WordPress is easier than
ever to keep updated. When a new version is released, a nag appears in
the Dashboard. From there, it's just a couple of clicks to upgrade. And
yet, people *still* lag behind. The reasons are varied, and _mostly_
invalid (depending on your perspective). Some of it is simply "fear of
breaking something". Some of it is just simple stubbornness ("I just
upgraded, I don't want to do it again so soon!"). Some of it might be
ignorance and laziness (they see the nag, but don't look at the
WordPress News blocks in the Dashboard, or go to the main site to read
about it).

So, what more can we do? Not a *whole* lot, but I do have a suggestion:

In order to express the relative urgency of upgrade notices, I propose
that we categorize upgrades into four priority levels:

  1. Minor Bugfixes
  2. Major Bugfixes
  3. New Feature Release
  4. Security Update

Each version release could be tagged accordingly, along with a brief
description of the changes and/or impact. These priority levels could be
used to style the update nag messages, and provide a sense of their
relative importance (e.g. 1 = yellow, 2 = orange, 3 = green, 4 =
REDOMGWTFBBQ). For bugfix releases, a brief, friendly message can be
presented along the lines of "To find out if these issues might affect
your site, visit [URL] for more details."

This information could be stored on the wordpress.org side, with a
simple API update in the current version check functions.

Other notes: for a long time, people have requested the presentation of
"patch releases" which only contain files which changed, rather than a
full reinstall package. Personally, I don't mind the extra safety given
by a full update, because it ensures that if any of my local files were
modified without my knowledge, those changes would get overwritten. But
then again, I update my site from the current svn branch nightly anyways.

I did see one comment over on WP Tavern which mentioned a pretty valid
problem with updates[1]: In some corporate environments, all changes
have to go through a multi-stage vetting process before being pushed out
to production. Changes are put through testing/QA, and often maintained
in a local source control system. Large-scale changes are *much* harder
to push through such a system than small ones. It would be easy to point
fingers and just say "your process is broken", but that isn't helpful.
Providing an official "changes only" patchset *would* be helpful to such
users, because the code which needed review would be more isolated.
(Yes, they could go to Trac to see changes. Yes they should be able to
diff against their local source control system. Yes, yes, yes. But I'm
simplifying, and remember (to paraphrase) - individuals are smart,
groups are dumb).

On a tangential note, a lot of people complain that occassionally
WordPress upgrades "break plugins". I've pointed out before that
typically, this is because the plugin author has taken a shortcut
somewhere, and is mucking around with WP internals, instead of using an
established API function which insulates them from changes in the guts
of WP. But it's hard to get end-users to see it that way. From their
perspective, it's simple: the plugin worked before the upgrade, and it
was broken after. Therefore, the WP upgrade "broke" the plugin. You'll
probably never convince them to look at it any other way. But I have to
wonder if we can't try...something. I'm not sure what. But since this
seems to be a large source of the FUD concerning upgrades, it certainly
seems worth discussing it and kicking around some ideas on how to
address it.

[1] http://www.wptavern.com/security-this-security-that#comment-3613

--
Dougal Campbell <dougal at gunters.org>