[wp-hackers] 404 Pages displaying as blank

Leon Ash leon.ash at tawnylion.com
Thu Sep 3 18:28:34 UTC 2009

Dion and Otto,

I'm currently testing and playing on http://preview.tawnylion.com

I've followed Dion's suggestion of completely removing the htaccess/
redirection.

If I remove the IIS6 custom 404 handler pointing to /index.php?
error=404 then the 'home' page works, but nothing else. Everything
returns 404 pages?
With the /index.php?error=404 on the IIS6 custom handler all works
whether I have .htaccess or not. All, except the 'real' 404 errors.

On Sep 3, 2009, at 8:10 PM, Otto wrote:

> WordPress handles 404's internally. You don't need to define a custom
> error page. Just let it redirect to the index.php like normal.
>
> The 404 page served by WordPress is whatever is in 404.php in your
> theme directory.
>
> -Otto
> Sent from Memphis, TN, United States
>

> On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 6:34 AM,
> leon.ash at tawnylion.com<leon.ash at tawnylion.com> wrote:
>> Apologies if this is either a new thread or multiple mails. I
>> haven't used
>> a mailing list for a couple of years.
>>
>> I'm unable to access my hosted files from my current location so
>> can't
>> remove the redirection. Will be able to do so in about 5-6 hours
>> and will
>> report outcome here. If you wanted to 'see' what I have I have done a
>> 'vanilla' install at preview.tawnylion.com that is currently
>> configured to
>> /%postname% as permalinks and the 'default' redirection of
>>
>> RewriteEngine On
>> RewriteBase /
>> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
>> RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
>> RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
>>
>> If my memory serves me right with a default install, using the
>> default
>> configured to a custom error page of /index.php?error=404.
>>
>> With redirection as described it displays blank as it 'dies'
>> somewhere
>> whilst processing the 404.php file

>>> are