[wp-hackers] WordPress as CMS (was: wordpress security)

scribu scribu at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 20:31:34 UTC 2009

I've seen alot of plugins for "using WP as a CMS", but none that actually
hide the blog parts.

I wish I had though of this ideea first. Darn...

>        1) Remove "Posts" and "Comments" from main menu.  (Am I correct that
> direct links will still work?  Is there a way to remove those areas entirely
> rather than just hiding the menu items?)

Hook into 'admin_init' and redirect to dashboard or wherever.

>        2) Remove "Recent Comments" and "QuickPress" from Dashboard.
>  (Again, can it be removed entirely or merely hidden?)

That's easy. Just use remove_meta_box().

>        3) Remove "Press This" from Tools page (how?)

No ideea.

>        4) Writing Settings page -- remove/hide/turn off "Remote
> Publishing", "Post Via Email", and "Update Services" settings

I think you can use the Settings API for that.

       5) Reading Settings page -- remove "Front Page Displays" option.  Set
> it to "static page".  Still must allow user to set the static page though.

CSS only, I think.

> Also, in general, I think WordPress itself should do a few things to lessen
> the "blog assumption".  Nothing major, but a few small things to consider:
>
>        1) On General Settings page, change "Blog Title" and "Blog Address"
> to "Site Title" and "Site Address"
>
>        2) Ditto "Privacy" page.  "Blog" s/b "Site"

Definetly Trac material.

Be sure to keep us posted on this plugin.

--
http://scribu.net