[wp-hackers] l10n object bloat and class PO

Johan Eenfeldt johan.eenfeldt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 11:02:07 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Nikolay Bachiyski <nb at nikolay.bg> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 02:31, Johan Eenfeldt <johan.eenfeldt at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I saw http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/10165 and was going to
>> look at that unless you are working on something else.
>
> I want to try keep these as objects, since it makes more sense and is
> a lot easier to both use and extend.
>
> Only if there is no chance of keeping memory/CPU consumption in normal
> bounds, I will resort back to big arrays and a lot of accompanying
> functions.

Ok, I wish you luck! :) And if you want any assistance I'm available.

To return to the question that started this thread would you accept a
patch that split out:
Translation_Entry->translator_comments
Translation_Entry->extracted_comments
Translation_Entry->references_comments
Translation_Entry->flags

Perhaps into Translation_Entry_Full or Translation_Entry_PO or something?

My measurements of memory usage delta over load_textdomain:
2.9.rare: 4173844
2.9.rare-split-entry: 3220932

difference: 952912 / 2870 => 332bytes / entry

It is actually also measurable on pageloads (empty installation
frontpage translation enabled)
2.9.rare: 217ms on average
2.9.rare-split-entry: 199ms on average

Thanks