[wp-hackers] Images attached to posts/pages?

Otto otto at ottodestruct.com
Wed Oct 14 15:16:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Jane Wells <jane at automattic.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Bryan Harley <bryanharley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm talking about attaching one image to multiple posts. ?Is this
>> possible?
>
> Otto responded: No. Attachments can only have one parent.
>
> -You can't attach to multiple directly from the Library, but you can display
> a media file in more than one post if you go to the individual posts to do
> it. In the media popup uploader, just click on the Media Library tab in the
> upper right and you can select any image from your library to embed in the
> post rather than uploading a new image or embedding from a URL.
> Jane

Oh yes, you can display any image anywhere you like, individually. But
galleries display the attached images, and attachments attach to one
parent post.

You can include an id field on a gallery shortcode to display a
gallery from a different post id, though. Like if you wanted to
display the gallery for the post with id number 123, then would do the
trick:

[gallery id="123"]

So that will work for display purposes, if needed.

-Otto
Sent from Memphis, TN, United States