[wp-hackers] Custom permalinks with the Rewrite API

Eric Martin emartin24 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 15:48:41 UTC 2009

I want to be able to allow users to custom sort a group of posts by
adding a custom rewrite rule. I'm thinking of the following structure:

/some-slug/sort/title:desc/
/some-slug/sort/date:desc/
/some-slug/sort/downloads:desc/

I have tried doing this a couple of ways, but can't seem to get it to
work:
- some-slug as a page
- some-slug as a category and using permalink structure of /%category%/
%postname%/

One catch is that the sorting should still work with pagination.
Depending on which they do first, the URI could look different:
/some-slug/sort/title:desc/page/2
/some-slug/page/2/sort/title:desc/

I tried using an endpoint first, but that doesn't seem to work with 2
endpoints together, which makes sense.

So, I'm curious if others have done this and if there are any
suggestions on the "best" approach. I'd love to see some examples and
appreciate any help you can provide.

On a side note, there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of good
documentation or examples surrounding the Rewrite API. What
information is out there (on blogs and such) is often outdated or
misleading. Based on what I'm able to learn through this processes, I
hope to be able to create some helpful information and examples on how
the Rewrite API works.

--
Eric Martin
http://www.ericmmartin.com